Saturday, November 20, 2010

-- My Wicked Day --

It's Official - I'm addicted.

Not to drugs, or alcohol, or even coffee... Only to musicals!

I'm still on Cloud Nine after seeing Wicked earlier this week and I figure its about time I documented my feelings toward the experience.  Like I wrote a few days ago, despite my love of all things music and dancing, before Wednesday, I'd never been to a musical/Broadway show/play (other than high school versions)!   But as soon as I saw the advertisement on TV telling me that Wicked was going to be in Toronto - I immediately checked out their website to see about tickets.


Luckily, since Lucas wasn't very interested in going, my lovely, wonderful friend Lana (who is a pro at this musical attendance thing) was happy to accompany me to my first show!  And really, I don't know if there is anyone who would have been a better partner for the day.

We started out with a coffee stop on our way into the city, and once we arrived, we stopped for a bite of lunch before heading to the theatre.  * so kicking myself for not taking the time for pictures!*

As soon as I walked into the Canon Theatre I knew it was going to be awesome - the marble floors, the gold and crystal chandeliers... not to mention that the ticket guys were in full tuxedos!

And what to say about the show... lets just say that I smiled so much, my cheeks hurt at the end :)

"Whenever I see someone, less fortunate than I...
and lets face it - who isn't...
Less fortunate than I?
... And when someone needs a makeover, I simply have to take over...
Popular, you're gonna be, Pop-u-lar..."


All the things that I expected to be great, like the music and the singing, absolutely were.  The things that amazed me most though?  The dancing, the costumes and the set design!  It was phenomenal how the set changed so fluidly in a blink of an eye and how the characters eased into the scene from all directions.  Even Glinda's 'bubble' was great - and so smooth!  As for the costumes, the main characters's costumes weren't that amazing, but every person in the ensemble was decked out!



" I'm flying high... and defying gravity..."
"So if you want to find me, look to the western sky..."




Lana and I kept looking to each other during the show and just smiling!  Even though she is a seasoned musical attendee I think she was also floored by the performance.  It really was phenomenal - so much so that I've been YouTubing videos of the main songs and singing and dancing around the house for days!  I am definitely addicted.  

"I don't know if I've been changed for the better... but,
Because I knew you,  I have been changed for good."

Next up?  The Lion King in April - we are already looking forward to it :)

2 comments:

Littlec said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time and that you are addicted! The Lion King in April? So lucky!

Chelsey Shaw said...

We are going to the Lion King too!!! I am SO EXCITED!!!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity