Thursday, November 18, 2010

-- Chicken Noodle --

Time for this week's Soup of the Week :)

Ok, so the reasons behind this week's soup are two-fold and rather complicated but comical.

One, we had a rotisserie chicken on the BBQ for dinner but somewhere along the cooking process we ran out of propane.. so after changing out the propane tank we realized that we'd be eating our dinner no earlier than 8:30pm unless we changed out plans.  Since we were both hungry, we decided to have pizza for dinner instead and to just let the chicken for the evening.  But, that left us with a chicken...

Two, Lucas was sick with the flu over the weekend and was craving some comfort food and beside Corn Chowder (which I hate by the way), Chicken Noodle Soup is a favorite of his.  So - chicken soup it is.


Now I had full intentions of removing the chicken from the carcass and then making homemade chicken broth by boiling the bones for a while on the stove.  But, after boiling and checking for several hours, one, the chicken bits weren't falling off the bones and two, I got bored and ended up letting it boil dry - Oops!  I didn't say I was good at this :)

Thank goodness for Campbell's though, I just pulled out a box of chicken broth and kept going.



Chicken Noodle Soup
           this made six, healthy-sized portions

Saute: 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Add: 1 900mL box of chicken broth and 2 cups of water, stir all the yummy bits of onion and garlic into the broth.

Peel, Chop then Add: 2 medium potatos, 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery (yes, I peel celery)

Simmer: Until veggie chunks are soft (this took me about 30 mins).

Add: Chicken pieces (I used the tidbits removed from the carcass and one of the breasts) and two handfuls of the noodle-of-choice (I used a small farfalle pasta).

Simmer: For about 20 minutes or until pasta is cooked to your liking.

Enjoy!


As much as I'm not really a chunky-soup kind of girl - this hit the spot and really, anything tastes good when its accompanied by a sick husband saying all kinds of nice things to you like... "wow, honey, this is perfect - you are perfect - thanks!!"  


Here is the thing though, we are starting to get a little stuck with our soup choices... So help me out... What is your favorite soup?  What would you add to a basic chicken soup to make it a little interesting?  Any awesome pureed soups that you love?

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Squash soup was amazing. I'm plannign to make more of that because I could eat it daily.

Your chicken noodle looks yummy.

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity