Monday, December 14, 2009

Deck The Halls!

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas around these parts. Even though we've had our tree up for almost 2 weeks now its just been in the last few days that we've started to get the rest of the house spruced up.

Lucas and I are super excited for Christmas this year. This will be the first Christmas of our married lives (almost 7 years now) that we don't need to do the 12 hour trek to one of the parents houses to celebrate. This year we are spending some time with Lucas' parents - only an hour away - and then my parents are flying in Christmas night to stay with us until New Years. We are so psyched to not have to battle the icy roads this year!

So, the point of the story is that since we are spending the holidays at home, we are taking a bit more pride in our Christmas decorating this year. We've got the tree trimmed...


The ornaments out...

Along with a super old picture of us with Jolly St. Nick...


And in honor of being at home this year, I've taken on some new projects... lets call them DIY...

Several weeks ago, I found this picture in BlogLand and I fell in love...



I especially like the ornament-clad garland and new that I had to make something like it mine. I looked into buying something similar but figured I could try to make it myself and save some money in the process... In total, my rendition of the ornament garland cost me about $10.



What do you think?

The other thing that I tried out this year is is the word-in-frames project that's also been floating around on The Nest and in BlogLand. While most people take this project on in a small-scale fashion (in 4x6 frames), I tried it out in a much larger-scale!



I started out with 3 Ikea, 16x20 frames and a roll of Christmas-y wrapping paper. I cut out rectangles of the wrapping paper that are slightly larger than the opening in the frame. On top of that I had my neighbour (who makes signs out of vinyl lettering) make me 3 letters - J-O-Y (I'm sure they could be cut out of scrapbooking paper for an equal stunning effect). I stuck those letters on the wrapping paper and then threw them in the frames - Voila - instant Joy!


So that's what our place is looking like for the Holidays... what are you doing to deck the halls this year?

See what some other bloggers are doing by visiting the NewlyWoodwards
Dare to DIY

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Very nice. I really like the curly cues on your tree (lovely), the ornaments on your garland (must try it) and anything that says "Joy"

You really did a beautiful job on your home, and I love that you used an inspiration photo and make it completely different.

Thanks for joining in the blog party this week. I'm adding you to my blogs to read. =)

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity